Thursday, December 26, 2013

What Do YOU remember about 5th and 6th grade ?

As I attempt to reflect on 2013 and plan for 2014 I always wonder what parts of the experiences in my class students will remember years from now ?

From 5th grade, I remember creating a Mayan temple and a pop up display I made with Patrick Henry proclaiming "Give me liberty or give me death"..from his little oaktag podium that I painstakingly attempted to make stand up straight. ( he wilted nonetheless) .. I also recall a gerbil travesty; they died, or ate each other or ate their babies.. something tragic.

6th grade was the year that Mrs. Perri read "the Lion the Witch and theWardrobe" aloud to us. This is how I know that you are NOT too old to be read to, even when you think you might be. It was magical.

So... I read to my classes aloud from the "Grossest moments in history", fun and gore. (I spare them the actual animal death part) And I do want them to do hands on projects to make experiences come alive. I am preparing for our annual "Greek Plays." I think the kids understand the time period better when they act it out and they remember it longer.

I am having a lot of fun with my classes this year. It is a terrific bunch of kids. Don't get me wrong. I really want to find an administrative job. If you follow my twitter account you know I am looking at all levels and subjects of education for best practices. I spent several hours today doing tutorials of Excel 2013 .. bring on the data !

I am reading a book on leadership to write a review on middle web.. so I'll be posting that link soon. Keep thinking of me if you hear of any administrative job opportunities. And do respond and let me know what you remember about 5th and 6th grade. (And not just if you are a teacher now!)

Hope you had a Holly Jolly Christmas (or other winter holiday!)

Sincerely
Holly




1 comment:

  1. I remember I loved Mrs. Perry for reading that book to us! Also remember the fun at 6th grade Olympics. And of course you and I on the swings!

    ReplyDelete